Friday, September 24, 2021

"CP just takes more energy to exist with"

Cerebral Palsy isn't a degenerative disability, but as with anyone who ages our bodies naturally get weaker, more fragile, and just don't work as well as they did when we were younger.

I started using a walker outside my home in 2016, 5 years ago.  I was 37.  I started taking Baclofen prior to that to help with muscle tightness.  My legs were so stiff that it was really throwing me off balance.  I started getting Botox injections in my foot to help relax my tightly curled toes. And I started doing physical therapy. 

 

Children with CP receive years of physical and occupational  therapy.  We see doctors at children's hospitals who specialize in CP.  But once you reach adulthood that just ends.  As an adult you're lucky if you can find a physical rehab doctor who knows anything about CP.  Or your lucky if your health insurance will even cover 6 months of physical therapy. 

Thanks to @realchelseabear for sharing this interview by @cpalliance about CP and aging.  

link to video

No comments:

Post a Comment