Thursday, March 21, 2013

Update

Life with Scott added to our family has been wonderful; a true blessing and gift.  He is now 10 weeks old and weighs twice his birth weight and has grown several inches.  A very happy, healthy, easy-going boy.  

My mom was here for the first 7 weeks to help.  I did not figure out assistance with caring for Scott within that time so my dad extended his stay for another 6 weeks.  I am so grateful for their willingness and ability to stay for so long to help    

My parents were here not just to see their new grandchild but to help me with his physical care.  I am not physically able to care for a baby on my own due to my disability until he is able to crawl or walk, with Kiana it was at 7 months.  So, until that time, and while my husband is at work I need someone in my home with me.  The things I can do for Scott is love him, talk and sing to him, nurse him, try to calm him until someone else can pick him up if he is crying, and tell others what I think he needs.  But I need assistance in bathing him, clothing him, changing diapers (although I have changed a few but I have to do it either on the bed or on the floor), carrying him, putting him on my lap to nurse, etc.  Now that Scott is a little more “solid” and stronger I am able to pick him up off of my lap after nursing him and burp him.  But since I do not have the balance to carry him I have to stay on the couch until someone removes him from my lap.  When Scott wakes up at night my husband gets up to change his diaper and then puts him in bed with me to nurse.  After Scott has fallen back to sleep I wake my husband up again to move Scott to his crib.  

My dad is here for another 2 weeks.  Since I do not qualify for in-home care or services through the State,  I recently contacted Hawaii Centers for Independent Living (HCIL) to inquire how they might be able to help me.  I had a 2 ½ hour intake appointment with a woman here in my home and I ended that appointment with a feeling of hope.  HCIL is a non-profit organization that advocates for people with disabilities and believes that we have the right to live independently.  They provide several programs and services.  She is going to help me look for someone to come into my home to help me with Scott and for funding to help pay for the assistant.  Again, I am hopeful and thankful for her help.  I wish I had known about HCIL when Kiana was born.  

Infancy is the most challenging for me but I am learning to enjoy and appreciate every moment because they grow up so fast.

Scott sitting on my lap and smiling at his sister

3 comments:

  1. Scott looks so cute! How is he now? I’m glad to know that you don’t let your disability interfere with being a mother. I commend your decision to contact HCIL because they could help you with a lot of things considering now that you are raising two kids. I suggest you consider approaching varieties of professionals that could cater to your every need. And always remember to stay strong and positive. :)

    Erminia Cavins

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only just come across your blog I am a disabled mum of a very lively two year old and I've recently split from my husband and its very frustrating trying to find help so its interesting to read other experiences of disabled parents so thank you for blogging x

    ReplyDelete