Monday, August 22, 2011

Behavior modification

We were not even in the house 2 minutes one afternoon and Kiana was already finger-painting with diaper cream on the walls.  When I went to take it away from her she ran away from me.with a big gob of it in her hands wiping it along the hall wall as she ran and then into the bedroom.  I knew it would be easy to clean up so I wasn’t going to get upset about it but I still needed to get it off of her hands before it was everywhere and I had to backtrack too much.  I asked her to wash her hands.  She loves to wash her hands and make bubbles with the soap so I thought this would work.  When I got a firm “no” in reply I had to think quick, because I’m not able to just chase after her, pick her up, and carry her to the sink.  I had to figure out what to say to get her to come to the sink.  So I said very calmly, “do you want to go to your room?”  I had never used this before, or have never sent her to her room so I was surprised it worked.  She came directly to the sink and washed her hands. 

No comments:

Post a Comment